Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Muffin Man? I Am the Muffin (Wo)man

Muffins. My kids love muffins. I don't even need to trick them in to eating a lower sugar treat by calling them cupcakes. Sure, I need to dress them up with cinnamon or chocolate chips, but they inhale them. However, my kids are picky so I really need to vary the muffins and space how often I make them to keep this treat, a treat. We are also always on the lookout for easy and delicious goodies to make to use for a special Saturday morning breakfast so the kids let us sleep longer. So when something is a hit I bookmark that recipe faster than my kids can eat it.

I discovered this recipe with a standard Google search. I love Allrecipes. There's something about the layout of the website, or that I've been using it for years, or even that I've found some amazing, divine, and easy recipes, but it is my go-to site. Now, recipes are more like guidelines to me. One teaspoon of salt becomes a "dash". Two cups of flour? If it's not exact, it doesn't matter. I'd be terrible at making macarons which need careful and precise measuring. These muffins don't need anything to be careful and precise, and I love them for that. Toss in the ingredients and mix. Heck, I even decreased the sugar by 1/3 and added a cup more of milk than called for because I felt the batter was too thick. Lack of vanilla extract was my inspiration to add cinnamon the first time. They barely had time to cool down before being tasted and if I hadn't put them out of reach there would have been none for breakfast. I used chocolate chips the next time and they loved that as well.

But, my kids are weird. When it comes to treats and desserts my husband and I often question how they are related to us. They don't like food that is overly chocolatey or sweet. Chocolate chips are ok. Chocolate cookies, they only eat half. I've even seen them not finish kids' sized ice cream servings! How are they mine?

I also love that my muffin pan is on the smaller side so that we can say, in the wise words of my uncle Mark, "take 2, they're small". My kids like tiny foods, which is probably why these non-chocolate lovers actually enjoy chocolate chips.

I give these muffins 2 thumbs up, or rather 2 outreached tiny hands asking for more, up. 5/5 stars for a great and versatile muffin recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment